21 July 2015

Glowing Star Block & Pillow


I'm excited to share not only a new project, but also a new paper-piecing pattern: a Glowing Star.



This star is based on the same concept as the Lone Starburst -- a layered star -- but with an updated set of angles that make the finished project a bit rounder and more twinkly. The pattern, available on Etsy, contains templates for both 12.5" AND 18.5" unfinished blocks. Included are also basic paper-piecing instructions (more here), a color planning sheet, and color/value placement ideas.


This version, the 18",  is the perfect no-sashing-necessary pillow block, and would make a relatively quick (for paper-piecing, at least...) quilt. I'd love to make some up into rainbow color wheels!


To make this quilted pillow cover, I picked fabrics in blues and teals for the center, and oranges for the outer ring. Most of them (no surprise here) are Anna Maria Horner prints. I  wanted some sit-and-stitch time, so some hand quilting in the center panels and once around the outside adds detail. 


For my binding, I chose one of the darker blue prints because I wanted a sharp contrast with the outer ring and the white background.


For the back, I made a simple envelope closure with some home dec-weight fabric I've had for ages, a weird and pretty bugs print. 


The new pillow is right at home with my new euro shams, too!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, nice to see you! Sorry about the word verification but I've been flooded with spam messages recently. Thanks for commenting!